Drone Pilot Operator ID Cards

Do I Need a Drone Licence in the UK?

In the UK, there's no such thing as a drone "licence," but that doesn't mean you can fly one without meeting specific criteria. If you plan to fly a drone that weighs between 250 grams and 20 kilograms, you'll need to obtain a Flyer ID. To get this, you'll have to pass an online theory test through the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) website. The test aims to ensure you understand the rules of flying a drone and the risks involved.

How to Register Your Drone in the UK

To legally fly a drone in the UK, you'll need to register it, and this process is quite simple. Head to the CAA website, where you'll find a registration form. The process involves two steps:

  1. Pass an online theory test to get your Flyer ID.
  2. Register for an Operator ID if you own or are responsible for a drone.

What is the Difference Between a Flyer ID and an Operator ID?

The two IDs serve different purposes and are designed for different roles in drone operation:

  • Flyer ID: This is for the person who is physically flying the drone. To obtain a Flyer ID, you need to pass an online theory test, which validates that you understand the safety protocols and regulations involved in flying a drone.

  • Operator ID: This ID is for the individual or organisation that owns the drone or is responsible for it. You must be 18 or older to register for an Operator ID, which has to be displayed on the drone.

Why Carry a Drone Operator ID Card?

An official Drone Operator ID Card provides several benefits:

  1. Quick Verification: In case of random checks by authorities or if you're flying in an area where drone use is monitored, having an ID Card allows for immediate verification of your credentials.

  2. Compliance: Having a card on you at all times proves you're aware of and compliant with the legal requirements for drone operation in the UK.

  3. Convenience: An ID card is easier to carry around compared to printouts of your Operator ID or Flyer ID.

  4. Professionalism: If you're using your drone for professional tasks like aerial photography, surveying, or inspections, carrying an ID Card adds an extra layer of credibility to your operation.

 EASA Drone ID Cards by The Card Project UK

If you operate drones in countries that follow the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) regulations, you'll also require specific IDs. Our EASA Drone ID Cards offer the same benefits as our UK Drone Operator ID Cards, but they're tailored to EASA requirements.

Each EASA Drone ID Card features all the essential information you'll need for quick verification by authorities within EASA member countries. Like our UK-specific cards, these are also made from environmentally friendly, biodegradable plastic.

Whether you operate your drone in the UK or EASA-regulated airspace, having a dedicated ID Card from The Card Project UK offers an added layer of security and professionalism. Browse our EASA and UK Drone Operator ID Card designs now and select the one that fits you best.


reg # 0863 3762 vat # 453 2087 06